[Public-List] Cracked Stern Tube - Laugh or Cry?

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Sep 15 09:07:58 PDT 2018

Daniel,

On 9/13/18 6:18 PM, Daniel Swords via Public-List wrote:
> My boat (hull #525) has recently been suffering from a slow leak at the stern tube. The local boat yard assessment is a cracked stern tube which agrees with my assessment of the leak location. Their initial estimate for repair is approximately $9,000. I don’t know if I should laugh or cry. I guess my next option is to find a yard that will let me do the work myself and to see if I can repair/replace the stern tube without removing the engine and fuel tank. Thoughts or condolences are appreciated. Daniel Solitude Mandeville, LA

You can remove the stern tube from outside the boat. The hard part will
be removing any caulking around it. Disconnect the stuffing box from the
stern tube at the stern tube end. Remove the prop and unbolt the cutless
bearing housing. Then, without unscrewing the cutless bearing housing
from the stern tube, pull it off rearwards. You'll probably need a crowbar.

Contrary to what many people think and I thought before working in this
area, the caulk around the stern tube does not keep water out of the
boat. The caulk on the flange and bolts of the cutless bearing housing
does that. The caulk on the stern tube just holds it in place when
you're removing the cutless bearing housing. Had I known that, I would
have avoided many days of work.

The stern tube is a piece of bronze pipe. It's unlikely to crack. The
stuffing box hose is more likely to be a source of leaks in that area.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org