[Public-List] My Leaking Stern Tube Current Status

Daniel Swords danielswords at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 14:11:29 PDT 2018

    Current status, I hired a diver to check out the stern tube leak. As most know, there are two hex-headed machine screws that attach the cutlass bearing housing to the deadwood keel of the boat. They are just tapped into the fiberglass. Some may say a bad design but it has lasted 45 years so I can’t complain.  The top screw needed about 1 and 1/4 turns to snug down ( but I warned him not too tightly because I didn’t want to strip it out) but the bottom screw was totally loose and would not tighten.      So it looks like the easy fix will be to remove the screws, ream out the holes and fill them with epoxy (Marine Tex?) then drill and retap the holes and reinstall the screws with 3M 4200 caulking.     Still some concern, is this just a symptom of age or is there another problem like shaft misalignment or excessive engine (Yanmar) vibration. The haul out yard I hope to use is a Yanmar dealer so I will rely somewhat on their assessment. Still afloat but still waiting for a haul out.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone