[Public-List] Stern Tube Bedding

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Apr 8 08:04:09 PDT 2019

Andrew,

I used 5200 to reinstall my stern tube. When doing so, I put some
vaseline on the cutless bearing housing threads and where it would
contact the 5200 around the stern tube. This was to keep it from
sticking to the stern tube 5200.

When reinstalling the cutless bearing housing, I also bedded it with
5200, but I wanted that to be a different blob of 5200 since it's
removed more often than the stern tube.

BTW, when you need to remove the 5200ed cutless bearing housing, a
little heat with a propane torch softens the 5200.

Perhaps in your case there it 5200 on the threads. You might try putting
the cutless bearing housing in a vice, heating it at the joint with a
propane torch, and turning the stern tube with a pipe wrench. Either
caulk or corrosion is probably holding it.

I don't worry about the cutless bearing bolts stripping out. I also put
5200 on them when reinstalling.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org