[Public-List] VHF cable

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Apr 17 06:29:01 PDT 2019

Good day friends,

This talk of antenna cable reminds me of a discussion I had with my brother in law when he came aboard many years ago.     He is a professional in the commercial antenna business, serving radio and television stations, as well as his own very extensive Ham radio gear at his farm, which makes the place look like the ground station for the bad guy in a James Bond movie.

When I was positioning my VHF antenna, I thought I’d like to still have an antenna in the event of a dismasting, and wanted the simplest of ordeals when installing it.  The two objectives led to my putting it on the port stern quarter.   Yes, it’s not very high up, and in the reception department we find the weather station fades in and out as the boat swings at anchor due to the rig masking the signal, but it works well enough.

John, my brother in law, was horrified.   ‘Well enough’ was offensive to him, who reckoned that maximizing my radio’s performance was a primary concern.   He was about as offended by the antenna’s position as I would have been if he’d had a boat, and happily sailed it with empty batten pockets and a miss-matched headsail that didn’t fit. (which I’ve seen at our club)

Oh well.

Gordon Laco
Surprise 426