[Public-List] diesel woes

Don Campbell dk.campbell at xplornet.ca
Fri Aug 2 11:45:38 PDT 2019

Gordon::
    There are only three things that make diesels run well, clean fuel,
clean air and good pressure from the fuel pump. Diesel fuels are usually
determined by the seller and where it gets cold, they automatically switch
to more stove oil about the first of October so it won't freeze quite as
easily. That fuel does not do so well in warm weather though.  I doubt if
you would get that change in Maryland but you might with the crazy weather
we are all getting. The filter in front of the injectors could be the
problem and if your racors are separating the water out, at least you should
see it and that is a problem not to consider. It could also be dirt in the
fuel and pugged filters anyway. A long shot is an airlock in the fuel
tank(s), so check the vent if there is one or the breathability of the fuel
caps. A wasp or insect may have used that vent pipe for a nesting site. The
obvious one to me is a plugged air filter if you have one and if not,  an
air  intake that may be blocked. If there is no air filter, is the
passageway for air to the motor open or is everything shut to the engine
compartment? Check the pump pressure and after that, carbon in the injectors
from not running often enough, for long enough, at high RPMs. In my
experience, diesels need to be run up to temperature and left there for some
time when they run, and then cooled out before being  shut off. Getting in
and out of moorings or marinas in short bursts often makes  for a short
diesel engine life.
    There will be places that do injectors and pumps for highway and farm
tractor diesels, so you don't have to go to marine services by default if
the pump is the problem.
Don