[Public-List] Ettiquette at anchor?

Randy Katz randy.katz50 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 20:50:15 PDT 2019

Greetings, 'Bergers,

Gordon's story below reminded me of a concern we're always a bit unsure
about. We seem plagued by noisy generators on nearby boats, as I'm sure
others have experienced. Watmough Bay on south Lopez Island, WA., a couple
of weeks ago--Nearly all sailboats, ah, nice and quiet. Until another
sailboat-- :( --with its gen exhaust pointed right at us starts ripping
away... for 2 hours around dinner time.

I'm an adult, I can figure these things out, but I'm curious about the
response of others. Does one dare ask to the skipper how long such an
intrusion is expected to continue, by way of giving a hint? Is it
preferable to pull up anchor and move? Is it best even so to adopt a zen
attitude and endure till the end? When will modern electrical management
systems, LEDs, etc. become pervasive enough to reduce gen use? Not in my
lifetime, I'm afraid.

And then sometimes at 7 in the morning, too!

We often anchor far off from other vessels knowing this problem will come
up. We go to the beautiful places for peace and quiet, not for listening to
engines running on and on.

Any experiences or suggestions would be welcomed.

Many Thanks,
Randy Katz
#249 Simple Gifts
Seattle/Bellingham, WA