[Public-List] cabin top traveller

Andrew Johns johnsab9 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 11:53:15 PDT 2019

The primary reason for a cabin top mounted traveler is to allow for a
decent bimini and dodger setup that can be used while sailing.
Additionally, it allows for extra room in the cockpit.

We have had a cabin top mounted traveler on #104 since 2002.  We have a
Garhauer traveler mounted on teak riser blocks over the rear of the sea
hood. In my experience, the masonite cored deck on the earlier boats is
plenty strong enough for a traveler.  No signs of distortion or stress
cracking.

The purchase on the mainsheet was increased to 6:1 in our setup.
Occasionally we use the cabin top winch to help sheet in when close-hauled.

A few things to keep in mind the force on the boom is not a single point
load, it's applied over the length of the boom with the load reducing as
you move farther out (providing you don't have a loose foot main).  Moving
the attachment point from the end to the middle would not double the stress
in the boom.  It would double the stress in the mainsheet but not the boom.

Andrew
Ecola #104

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 8:52 AM Don Campbell via Public-List <