[Public-List] Twin Headsails

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Dec 9 13:24:10 PST 2019

Hi Greg -

Twin headsails were a very popular downwind rig in the days before good self steering.  The boat will be a little underpowered, and there will be very little roll-damping so the boat will roll like crazy… but downwind she’ll be quite stable.   However, if you’ve got a decent self steering vane, you don’t have to go to the trouble of twin headsails for downwind sailing.

In my Folkboat days, we used to use two headsails when it was blowing too hard for the spinnaker.  We’d have the main set as usual… the genoa boomed out to windward,  and the jib hoisted to leeward like a normal jib.  That was a pretty handy rig in strong winds.

Gordon Laco
426 Surprise