[Public-List] stern tube question

Clay Pass clay.q.pass at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 13:59:38 PST 2019

Yes, all this assumes the shaft is true and the interface with the engine
is in alignment (ie flanges are true too).  You could confirm that by
pulling the shaft and having all surface inspected, or like I said in the
mounted position the shaft should turn without visibly wobbling within the
stern tube.  You can measure the center of the shaft and fashion some kind
of pointer to try and measure the center at the stern tube or maybe use
some feeler gauge all around the gap, but yes I just eyeballed it, because
in the end you just don't want it to apply side pressure to your newly
installed cutlass bearing.  One reason the tolerances are so tight at the
flange end it because small misalignment at that location is magnified by
the time it gets to the propeller end a couple feet away.  It makes much
more sense to do the alignment at the propeller end where even if you
eyeball the center that translates to much smaller errors at the flange end
or engine mount locations.  If you are off .004 at the propeller end and
your shaft is true, etc., the only downfall will be that it will wear into
the bearing by .004 inch until it achieves a new equilibrium, so you would
end up with .004 inches of slop or play when it is settled in.  That's not
very noticeable compared to the 1/8" or 1/4" of play that you have and what
I also had when I began.

If your shaft is not true or the interface flanges are not true all of this
is a moot point and no amount of shimming the engine mounts is going to
correct that problem, the shaft will still wobble on rotation.  In summary,
measure alignment where it matters, where you are trying to prevent damage,
and that is at the cutlass bearing.

Clay