[Public-List] stern tube question

Don Campbell dk.campbell at xplornet.ca
Mon Feb 4 04:36:08 PST 2019

Don't forget that the motor was probably dropped in before the deck went on
so that the weight and alignment would be done with the aid of lifting
devices, and the possibility of having a measurement device at the end of
the shaft that one could roll in and roll out as needed. It sure beats
trying to slide motors aft and have them suspended with a chain falls with
forces you really do not want trying to take the motor forward as you
position it! I would think that the mould would be fairly consistent, but
things like the metal motor mounts in the mould that have the threads and
castings on the block for mounting might slightly different and the rubber
would definitely be different motor to motor. People on the line have a way
of figuring out production problems in practical ways and the ability to
improvise then was probably greater than it is now.
Don