[Public-List] Companionway Hatch

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 13:07:25 PST 2019

Walter,

The companionway sliding hatch on #262 is built of three main sections: the
forward vertical face, the aft vertical face, and the arched section
connecting the two vertical faces.   Overall width is between 28-5/8" -
28-3/4" inches wide and 27-1/4" fore and aft.

The forward vertical face is 28-3/4" inches wide at its widest point, 3/4"
thick, and 3" tall measured from a straight edge placed below the face and
in contact with the port and starboard edges.  The top and bottom edges of
the forward vertical face arc upwards to match the arch of the cabin top.
On both sides, starboard and port, set 1/2" in from the outer edge is an
area cut upwards into the forward vertical face to provide a surface to
ride on the companionway sliders.  The cuts are between 1-1/8" and 1-1/4"
wide and perhaps 1/4" deep.

The aft vertical face is 28-5/8" inches wide at its widest point, 3/4"
thick, and 3-1/2" tall.  The bottom of the face is flat. The top of the
face arcs upwards to match the arch of the cabin top. On both sides,
starboard and port, set 1/2" in from the outer edge is an area cut upwards
into the forward vertical face to provide a surface to ride on the
companionway sliders.  The cuts are between 1-1/8" and 1-1/4" wide and
perhaps 1/4" deep.  (the cuts to receive the sliders as just like those on
the forward face.)

The arched section between the two faces has the same arch as the cabin
top.  The section is 25-3/4" fore and aft, between 28-5/8" - 28-3/4" inches
wide measured directly across the bottom (no arch), and 28-7/8" wide along
the curve of the arch.

Photos send direct as the list does not allow attachments.

Jonathan

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 12:17 PM Wehicks via Public-List <

> I need all specs on a hatch as mine blew off on the road somewhere and I
> have nothing to go by.
> Thanks
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Feb 26, 2019, at 6:14 PM, Rolph and Joan Townshend via Public-List <
> >
> > There are two layers of material glued together
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 6:57 PM Jonathan Bresler via Public-List <
> > public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Good evening,
> >>
> >> Looking at the companionway sliding hatch on #262, the top surface shows
> >> wide slats separated by quite narrow (1/2"?) strips.  The bottom surface
> >> shows a single joint between each of the wide slats.
> >>
> >> What's going on in the middle?  How/why did two joints on the top
> surface
> >> become one on the bottom surface.
> >>
> >> Jonathan
> >> --