[Public-List] Reefing

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 14:39:33 PST 2019

Greg,

As Gord, says best to haul out your sail and measure.
Worth while considering installing a track on the bottom with cheek blocks
on slides so that you have flexibility.
Its more expensive, but can accommodate different locations of the clew
reefing ring.
Was not able to find an example at Garhauer quickly.
Here is an example from Schaefer, but Schaefer is generally quite expensive
https://hardware.schaefermarine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=145_120&products_id=3708&zenid=locc3pm804ac866bs2k5hinte3

For reference, Constance has

   - First reef (25%, 158 sq. ft.): four feet above tack, reefing ring on
   starboard side of sail only
   - Second reef (46%, 113 sq. ft.): eight feet above tack, reefing ring on
   port side of sail only

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 3:17 PM Gordon Laco via Public-List <

> Hello Greg -
>
> That depends completely on what your sailmaker chose.  There’s no rule
> which defines where the first reef has to be.   I’ll add that you need to
> make sure that you get the depth of the reef right, or you’ll have the
> change the positions of the block etc on the boom to suit.    Better haul
> out your old sail…
>
> Gordon Laco
> www.gordonlaco.com
>

> > On Feb 28, 2019, at 3:12 PM, Greg Hounsell via Public-List <
> >
> > With the main put away, does anyone have any measurements for the height
> of
> > the reef cringles above the foot?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Greg