[Public-List] Jib sheet replacements

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 11:08:14 PDT 2019

The length of the jibsheets depends upon the size of the jib or genoa.
Longer overlap genoas need longer sheets so that the lazy sheet can
pass from the clew, which is farther after on a larger overlap genoa,
outside the shrouds, forward of the mast, and back to the block on the
windward size.  Unfortunately, the result is a lot more "spagetti" in the
cockpit from the leeward genoa sheet once its sheeted home on a beat
to windward.

A working jib's lazy jibsheet can be far shorter.

Currently using 76' of Yale ULS for the 165LP and 66' of the same for
the 150LP and 135LP on Constance.

Jonathan

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 2:02 PM Gordon Laco via Public-List <

> There’s plenty of strength in either diameter… but bear in mind that
> thicker line is nicer in the hand when pulling hard.  3/8” is pretty thin
> for sheets, although the lighter weight might be appreciated when sailing
> in light air.
>
> I’d normally recommend that 1/2” is minimum
>
> Gordon Laco
> #426 Surprise
>

> > On Jul 24, 2019, at 1:59 PM, Christian Douglas via Public-List <
> >
> > I need to replace the sheets as the covers are fraying. They’re 55’ long,
> > which seems really long, and looks like 7/16. Can I go to 3/8” and
> shorten
> > them up some? Looking at New England Sta Set.
> >
> > Christian
> > Kittiwake #76

Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262