[Public-List] Solar panels

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Jul 30 02:42:32 PDT 2019

Good morning

We charge using the engine… and plug in to use the shore powered charger once or twice a season before week long trips.  We don’t have refrigeration and have switched out electric lighting to LED, so power usage is low.  We use the boat Wednesdays for racing and cruise most weekends, with the occasional longer trip.

We carry one deep cycle marine battery and one ‘regular’ starter battery.    When running the engine we have the selector to ‘both’  so they’re getting the benefit of the alternator’s output.  When at anchor we use the deep cycle for our lights.

Every few years I think refrigeration might be nice… but have never taken the plunge to install it because of the dramatic change in electrical capacity it would require.  One can buy a lot of ice for the cost of a refrigeration plant, unsightly solar panels etc.  I’ve considered a portable fridge ‘cooler’… even considering using it to make my own ice; but then I’d have to run the engine just to run the fridge; and I don’t really want to change the boat to a situation where we’d need to do that.

Gord
426 Surprise

> On Jul 30, 2019, at 4:54 AM, Jeffrey Randall via Public-List <public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks all,  I am still researching but a trickle charging solar setup
> seems to be in the future.
>
> Gordon,  Is the shore power the only way you recharged? and how often did
> you need to do it.  I am looking to see if I am leaking more power than the
> standard flow rate that any battery might drop over time.
>
> BTW for all,  I am still on chapter one of boat electrics for dummies after
> many starts.  But getting there.  12 V or electricity in general seems to
> have baffled me for years.  I am on a quest for electrics competency if not
> expert status.
>
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 8:22 PM Gordon Laco via Public-List <
>
>> We have electricity at our slip but only very rarely use it to recharge
>> batteries or any other purpose… there’s no need.
>>
>> Gordon Laco
>> #426 Surprise
>>

>>> On Jul 29, 2019, at 5:43 PM, R Kirk via Public-List <
>> public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Jeff... Not to worry. Isobar (181) swung at a mooring (NAVSTA Annapolis)
>> all the years I had her, so no shore power. I never used much electricity
>> underway so the batteries never got too low. I used a cheap solar cell, not
>> much larger than a tablet. Before I left the boat I put it on top of the
>> companionway slide and ran its wire to alligator clips at the house
>> battery. Always kept the charge up. I used a mechanical, wave generated,
>> bilge pump at the mooring so no electric use there. (It was/is an exposed
>> bumpy mooring field, so plenty of piston action.)… Bob

>>> 603-498-5574