[Public-List] Solar panels

Hernán Scarnichia hernanscar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 10:31:53 PDT 2019

I have a 50W 12 volt panel mounted on the stern railing (about 2ft x 2ft).
It is unsightly but practical, just like the rail mounted grill and the
lifesling.
It is wired through a victron 75/10 charge controller.
It is enough to keep the batteries topped off and supports lighting and
cellphone charging.
On colder nights when I use the heater (forced air diesel) it takes the
solar a few sunny days to return the batteries to full charge (14.4v). When
cruising this is not a problem as I usually run the engine to go in and out
of anchorages and that produces enough charge.
I'm considering switching to a 24 volt panel which is recommended for this
controller for better efficiency. As it is I have never seen outputs higher
than 12W, but that might be because of the lower sun angle here in Alaska.

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 5:18 AM Andrew Johns via Public-List <