[Public-List] Propeller and Engine

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Jul 30 15:42:51 PDT 2019

Hello Ryan - welcome to the fleet.

I know there are passionate advocates of the outboard conversion… but my opinion is that one must accept significant degradation of performance both sailing and motoring when one takes that drastic step.

You will lose the ability to perform tight manoeuvres under power… with the inboard you will be able to turn the boat in her own length.  You will also be able to reverse with great control, once you learn to do it.

An outboard is lighter, but it’s weight is further aft, so you will increase the already inherent tendency to hobby-horse in a chop when sailing..

If you use a standard tank for the outboard you will be faced with challenges to vent it safely.

If you put the outboard in a well where the stern lazarette is, you will ruin the run of the overhang aft which is what allows our boats to achieve the higher speeds they do under sail.  You’ll also have to deal with water jamming up into the aperture for the outboard… even if you use the tipping mount I’ve seen photos of.

With an outboard you will lose the ability to charge batteries while motoring at a useful rate.  Some outboards can be fitted with charging coils, but those are pretty discrete compared even with the standard factory mounted alternator.

I’ve had heavy keel boats with both inboard and outboard… my opinion is that one may rationalize the outboard to make it acceptable… but an inboard is superior.

The Atomic IV is pretty bullet proof once you get it running… smooth, quiet, loads of power, a good shipmate.

Gordon Laco
#426 Surprise