[Public-List] Natural aluminum finish for mast/boom

Michael Connolly crufone at comcast.net
Wed Mar 13 09:03:03 PDT 2019

Christian,
I too was surprised that all responders missed the point. To keep it natural is what I would like to do myself. Once painted spars become yet another maintenance issue. Originally the spars were anodized. This comes in colors like those tumbles you purchased cottage cheeze in during the 1950's Anodizing is accomplished in a controlled environment. This is so the protective corrosion layer is uniform and not with lapses. Normally done just after the extrusion process by the mfg. Smaller parts, i.e., window frames can be done after market, but long items like spars I just don't know. First all surfaces are striped and super cleaned. Then without hands touching the part is anodized.

For Albergers and other sailboaters I have seen folks clean the spar and then polish to a high luster with a metal polish. Super clean all polish residue and then allow to slowly oxidize naturally. The key is to remove all blemishes, stains, sealants, adhesives to have a pure clean aluminum surface to then reoxidize. It the surface it notfree of blemishes then the reoxidization will not be uniform. Blotches will form and I have heard that people who know metallic chemisrty will say the the defects in the reoxidized surface will become anodic to the blemish free intact oxidized surface.

I mostly have sweet water experience with this. Salt water Will make a uniform reoxidation more difficult.
Michael