[Public-List] Cleaning and filling old deck hardware holes

Michael Nikolich mike.nikolich550 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 18:28:28 PDT 2019

Fellow Albergers,

I am replacing my traveller.  When the old traveller track was installed silicone was used as the bedding compound.  I believe the bolt hole locations for the new track is going to be just a little bit different than for the old track, so I need to fill the holes to get back to full strength before I drill for the new beam.

What is the best product/method to clean out the old holes to get a good bond between the filler and the surrounding fiberglass?
What would be the best filler product? West GFLEX? Something else? Is an additive needed? (I wouldn't think so for just 1/4" dia. holes)
Is there any particular tape that works well to cover the bottom of the holes so the filler won't drip out before curing, but still comes off easily once the epoxy cures?

Thanks!
Mike

Mike Nikolich
s/v SKYBIRD