[Public-List] LED Bulbs

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Fri Mar 29 11:33:18 PDT 2019

Mike,

LEDs, themselves, require about two volts across them to work. When
powering them on 5 volts, it's common to put a resistor in series to
drop the other three volts across the resistor. The value of the
resistor sets the current, which relates to the brightness of the LED.
Too much current, of course, turns the LED into a DED (Dark Emitting
Diode). By experimentation, I once found if you continue to increase the
current through the DED, it will turn into an incandescent light bulb,
though not a very efficient one.

When you're powering the LED with 12 volts, the inefficiency of a
resistor is too much. Generally there is some circuitry to regulate the
current. They might also put multiple LEDs in series, since each has a
2-volt voltage drop.

The same sort of thing applies to 120 volts AC, though the circuitry
also has to rectify it to DC.

I don't know what sort of circuitry is in your LED bulbs. It's likely
that some resistance network is used to make a voltage reference for the
current limiter. Since it's being powered on one-tenth of the voltage,
that voltage reference is off and therefore the current allowed through
the LED is off, resulting in the lower brightness. It would be possible
to design the current limiting circuitry to work equally well for 12VDC
and 120VAC, but that would cost slightly more.

I can't imagine any mechanism whereby using a 120VAC LED bulb in a 12VDC
circuit could cause any danger.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org