[Public-List] Tiller Pilot

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue May 21 04:57:42 PDT 2019

Hello John,

A number of years ago I used an Autohelm 2000 aboard a Dufour 31 on a trip from Martinique to Toronto.  When motoring in calms or sailing in moderate conditions it worked fine, once we were able to resolve water intrusion issues.   It was unable to cope in heavier conditions particularly when broad reaching in big seas.

Our Alberg 30’s are much sweeter steering boats than that Dufour was, but I’d still say the various tiller pilots are only reliable in moderate conditions or motoring.

Gordon Laco
#426 Surprise