[Public-List] ST 32 auto tiller—meh

Randy Katz randy.katz50 at gmail.com
Tue May 21 17:01:49 PDT 2019

Greetings,

 I’ve had the Simrad ST 32 auto tiller for many years. I loved it at first,
but it started giving overload indications – a beeping sound – under
conditions that I think it shouldn’t have. I called the manufacturer and
they thought it  probably needed to be reset.  The device can be reset by
pressing and holding a certain combination of buttons on its control
interface.  That erases the log history and supposedly gives one a clean
slate for starting over. I’ve done that reset many times and I need to keep
doing it. For that reason I don’t have a lot of confidence in the ST 32 and
seldom use it anymore.

 The conditions I’m describing are low wind and pretty flat water, even
without sails up. It’s great when it works but it usually doesn’t last more
than 10 or 15 minutes before overloading and freezing up. I’ve always
thought that some other form of tiller control would be better, maybe just
a different brand.

Randy Katz
Simple Gifts #249

--