[Public-List] Adding a Universal diesel to stock A-30 engine beds

Mike Lehman mlehman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 06:02:52 PST 2019

Hi Randy,

FYI, The original A30s were powered by Gray Marine gasoline engines, later
the were powered by Atomic 4's, and the last ones were powered by Volvo
Penta MD7A. The liner boats have a molded engine pan, so a
replacement diesel for an Atomic 4 does not need to have the engine bed
reinforce or modified, if the engine is a 'replacement' for the Atomic 4.
Example: the Volvo MD7A is a 2-cylinder 13 HP that weighs in at 485 lbs.
(due to the heavy flywheel) and it is on the Atomic 4 liner bed with flex
mounts. The Gray Marine was about 400 lbs. and the Atomic 4 about 310 lbs.
I re-powered #505 "Gilleleje" with a Unviversal M4-30 (260 lbs.) on the
original liner bed about 20 years ago and it is still fine. Older boats...I
would suggest new stringers, as you had done.

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 6:49 PM Randy Katz via Public-List <

Mike Lehman