[Public-List] Backstay Knee Rot

Andrew Johns johnsab9 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 06:26:29 PST 2019

Good Morning All,
While we are on the subject of cautionary tales... I would like to mention
what I found when removing our backstay chainplate.  On the outside, the
knee looked great, nicely pained with no signs of anything abnormal.

When removing the chainplate, I found loose bolts and the plywood used to
create the knee was entirely rotted out inside its fiberglass covering. I
suspect ignored leaks between the deck and chainplate contributed to its
demise.

I'm planning on opening up the knee this spring and replacing it with
either fiberglass board, Coosa or some sort of nonwood composite.

Hopefully, this helps someone else.  Maybe pull one of the bolts and hope
the plywood doesn't come out in liquid form!

Andrew
ECOLA #104