[Public-List] Water pump replacement for Universal/Westerbeke M3-20B engine?

Randy Katz randy.katz50 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 16:57:33 PST 2019

Greetings, Albergers,

Do you have a Universal/Westerbeke M3-20B diesel engine in your fine craft?

If so, you probably know that the water pumps are poorly designed and fail
more often than expected. The current price for a Universal/Westerbeke pump
is around $525! I've replaced my pump already 3x in the last 20 years.
(Most parts for rebuilding the pump are not available says Gallery Marine,
my Seattle source. However, if the shaft rotates OK, one can try replacing
a $30 seal, which they *do* have available. At this point, most people are
letting the pump leak for as long as they can. Mine so far has only the
occasional drip now and again, so I'm not in a rush.)

Does anyone know if this Oberdorfer pump might fit this engine? (Search for
N202M-15:OBERDORFER PUMPS N202m-15 Flexible Impeller Pump on Amazon.)

It appears to have a similar shaft spline, so maybe...?

Thanks~

Randy Katz
Simple Gifts #249