[Public-List] Spreaders

Andrew Johns johnsab9 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 06:59:19 PDT 2019

Hi,

We are getting our boat ready for some extended cruising, with some
offshore passages in our future.

I a few years ago I replaced the original wood spreaders with epoxy
laminated white oak.  At the same time, I had cracks welded up in the cast
aluminum spreader bracket, where the upper flange meets the main portion of
the casting.  I'm unsure if that was from overtightening or fatigue.

What is the group's consensus on the original wood spreader design?
Considering our use, I'm unsure if we should stick to the original design,
reinforce the original design, or retrofit an aluminum spreader?

What have others done?

Thanks,
Andrew