[Public-List] [EXTERNAL] Public-List Digest, Vol 3920, Issue 2

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Sep 17 09:28:26 PDT 2019

Right on Matt… and the white oak spreader would be much more durable with regard to it’s superior rot resistance.   Another issue is the strength of the very hard oak where pins or fastenings go through it.

In my Folkboat days I once tore the gooseneck traveler track out of the mast in a wild downwind surfing match while racing.  I didn’t want to see that happen again, so the following winter I inlaid white oak where the track was fastened, in effect to ‘armour’ the mast with hardwood for the fastening screws to go into.  That hardwood is still in her.

When I was Executive Director of Toronto Brigantine, one of the things I noticed was that when we had spar failures over the years in our two 50 ton brigantines, the breaks tended to occur toward the ends of the spars where iron collars etc were.  So as we replaced spars due to usual maintenance, I had them built up with sitka spruce, but with white oak worked into the centres of the yardarm ends.  As the spars tapered the spruce thinned out so that the iron collars bore against the oak.  We never broke one of those.

White oak tends to be a little acidic, and glues tend not to age well with that, but the trade off of greatly increased strength where the properties of white oak made dealing with it worth while, was, well, worthwhile.

Well back to work…

Gordon Laco
www.gordonlaco.com