[Public-List] Loose Footed vs Bolt Rope Mainsail

Clay Pass clay.q.pass at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 08:01:28 PDT 2020

Hi all,

I am having a new mainsail made by Bacon's and the issue of loose foot vs.
bolt rope has come up.  Given that I am not racing, but planning on
cruising exclusively, are there recommendations regarding a loose footed
sail?  Most that I read online recommends the loose foot design and in fact
Bacon's says that it is rare that they make any bolt rope sails any more.
I was initially concerned that the loose foot may not be as robust under
heavy weather conditions, but it seems that many say they are equivalent.
Is there any reason not to have the loose foot?

Thanks,

Clay Pass
#449 Seeing Deep