[Public-List] Loose Footed vs Bolt Rope Mainsail

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Apr 6 09:36:02 PDT 2020

Hi Don… I have a Corvette-with-a-loose-footed-main story.

The good friends who share our jetty at Midland Bay Sailing Club have a Corvette 31… when they bought new sails a while ago they were offered a loose footed main.

One time when as usual we sailed in company with them up to Hope Island, when at anchor Gord (their Gord, not me) said ‘Gord, my arm is sore’….. it transpired that their boat had really heavy helm.   The next morning there was only a breath of air, so we whipped up their main to look at it… sure enough, the loose footed main still had the old outhaul on it, and they’d been sailing with a deep draft in the sail.

I dug around in my kit and found him a couple of blocks and cut the tail off an old spinnaker sheet, and made him an 8:1 outhaul.   I set the sail up much flatter.

That afternoon, we set out to sail home in the nice spanking breeze.  We got away a little first… but… here they came bounding up and over took us.   As they passed Gord yelled ‘Wow - thanks a lot! The helm is light as a feather now, and look, we can keep up with you!’

He wasn’t keeping up with us, he walked away from us.   I told Caroline I was going to sneak aboard their boat some night and steal back the damned outhaul blocks… she cuffed me on the back of the head.

’No wound stings like a self inflicted one…'

Gordon Laco
#426 Surprise