[Public-List] Storm Sails

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Apr 23 08:46:06 PDT 2020

Hello Jonathan,

Aboard Surprise we have a very narrow working jib, which I have had recut so its clew is high.   It's basically the regular working jib somewhat attenuated by having it’s clew raised.

I reckon it’s larger than a ’storm sail’, but we’ve used it in up to approx 40kts of wind (with the main furled) and find it serves well.   It sets on the furler, and is triple stitched.   I’m sorry I don’t know the weight of the cloth, but it’s considerably heavier than that in the main and genoa.

I sheet it to the inside tracks.

Gordon Laco
#426 Surprise
www.gordonlaco.com