[Public-List] What is the ballast bedded in?

Adam Quenneville adamquenneville at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 15:49:07 PDT 2020

Hi all,

Hull #581 here. 1975.

The fiberglass covering the ballast was compromised and leaking. It had
been repaired previously but unfortunately the bond did not hold. I've
removed the fiberglass and exposed the ballast/keel cavity.

The iron ballast is set in some type of sandy compound, which is wet
with water and some oil. It almost seems like a clay and sand mix, but
from what I've heard about other boats, some times vermiculite was used.
I have come across a lot of vermiculite in my life, and none of it
looked like what surrounds my ballast.

Does anyone know with certainty what was used to bed/set the ballast in
the keel cavity in Alberg 30s?

I ask because the bedding compound (if we can call it that) is about 1"
below the top of the ballast. I would like to fill it flush before
fibreglassing over it.

If a direct replacement isn't available, can anyone suggest an
alternative material? Either foam of topping/sand mix crossed my mind.

Many thanks,

Adam