[Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 3998, Issue 4 Two blades prop

Daniel Swords danielswords at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 26 14:56:13 PDT 2020

    The PO of my boat had replaced the original two blade prop with a three blade prop, but fortunately had saved the original. I disliked the three blade so much that I paid to have the boat hauled just to replace it with the original two blade.

    If left in neutral the three blade spun continuously and noisily and created enough turbulence to feel through the tiller. If left in gear (something Yanmar recommends against) the transmission would lock-up with even the slightest forward motion such that the safety interlock would prevent starting the engine.     As far as I can tell the two blade prop does not spin in neutral and typically parks vertically behind the keel. Also, I did not notice any significant advantages with the three blade prop so I gave mine away and have never considered going back.     Currently sailing on Lake Pontchartrain, winds 15 gusting to 19 knots, double reefed main and 110% jib. Daniel SwordsSolitude, Hull #525Mandeville, Louisiana