[Public-List] Keel Repairs

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Apr 28 08:13:28 PDT 2020

Good morning John,

First question is: are you sure you have something to repair?  If you do, the cure is sanding or grinding and sanding, to get a fresh surface, then application of thickened epoxy into the damage.  Cover that with cloth and more epoxy painted on to saturate it, and hold that in place with a layer of waxed paper (so the epoxy won’t stick to it) with cardboard on that… and then lots of masking tape to hold the waxed paper and cardboard in place, which is holding the patch in place.

40 is very hot (oh, haha you’re in the States, the last place in the world to use British Imperial measure - bit of humour intended)   The epoxy will set, it’ll just take longer.

After the patch cures, it’ll be lumpy and perhaps jagged where things moved due to gravity… the cure for that is a second visit to grind/sand smooth, then more epoxy, held up with another waxed paper and tape job.

Gordon Laco
#426 Surprise
www.gordonlaco.com