[Public-List] Odd hole in the forward battery area

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Tue Apr 28 17:14:51 PDT 2020

Hello A30 people,

By way of installing the rear battery in my (older design) A-30 today, I
noticed a _small circular ___vertical hole_, roughly 0.5"D __is doing on
the bottom of the rear battery region__, forward near the battery's
forward bulkhead_. I never noticed that hole until now. 10 or more years
ago I coated the battery comportment floors and forward with epoxy
putty. I must not have have noticed it at that time.

If this typical? I'd like to understand what would happen if water runs
enters or exits into the area below the battery floor that it sits on.
My first instinct is to fill this small hole, but the hole looks
deliberate. Maybe there is a lower path to the bilge? Currently, my
float switch is low in the battery compartment. I have seen water in
there a few times for various reasons. I certainty don't want to disturb
any iron in the keel, but the boat has been fine for all the time I've
had it, and as far as I know this has not been a problem.

Thanks,

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skies, Ithaca, NY

dans at stmktg.com