[Public-List] Cleaning and securing a diesel tank

Michael Connolly crufone at comcast.net
Tue Aug 18 07:18:01 PDT 2020

Yes, I believe that Laughing Gull was part of a group purchase of Moller tanks from Defender several years ago.  There is a fore and aft stringer along the hull on the port and starboard side you can see from the cockpit lockers.  These tanks will rest on that stringer and be below the side decks on either port or starboard side.  That stringer will bear most of the weight. Use glassed-in blocking to prevent fore and aft movement. Then attach footmans loops to glassed in blocks to use straping to hold the tank next to the hull. The discussion at the time was do you really want the weight of full tanks that high above the water line and that far out board? Most responses were that for the type of use most of our Albergs see (coastal cruising and racing) that it would not make that big a difference. My Aluminum tank on the starboard side shelf was 15 gallons and the Moller tank is 19 gallons, so perhaps 40 more pounds of weight.
Michael #133