[Public-List] Surveying older boats? Determining if they are seaworthy... (The myth endure, JB)

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Fri Aug 28 09:04:24 PDT 2020

Hi Randy,
I would suggest there is a mindset in the industry promoting embrittlement
of Older GRP layups, which I believe is fictitious wrt Whitby boats and
other well built older boats. I suspect it is a vested interest mindset to
get people to buy new boats and pay a princely sum, rather than to buy an
older and usually a better built boat for substantially less money.

I suppose the only way to prove this myth false wrt a specific vessel would
be to take a fresh plug out for a new throughhull and send it to an
engineering firm specializing in this sort of thing for documented
destructive testing to disprove GRP embrittlement.

I suppose a GRP layup unprotected with gelcoat or other coating would suffer
UV degradation over time leading to greater issues. Yet any boat so
protected by gelcoat (even a chalky gelcoat or painted) would not become
embrittled. However, clearly, somewhat older boats have just recently
completed the Golden Globe round the world race and none broke up due to
load cycling or other dynamic hull issues, some failed and were abandoned
for other reasons like pitchpoling and losing their rig - I can't think of a
more rigorous hull test.

Having drilled out for a through hull myself on our now 50 year old A-37MkI
and examining the plug, I can say for an absolute certainty the plug appears
as solidly well laid up as the day it came out cured from the mold. It was a
beautiful thick layup with no bubbles or voids as one would expect.

>From time to time I have surveyed boats for insurance condition and
valuation, which have been accepted as valid by those insurance companies,
and never found a boat with a suspected total layup issue (found limited
delamination on some, but nothing massive and usually linked to an old
impact accident or poor yard blocking during seasonal layup). Mind you, I am
particular of the kind of boat's apparent condition before surveying. I
don't survey boats showing an apparent lack of maintenance - ie, I don't
survey sh*tboxes.

Never the less, the myth endures in some quarters. Yet if hull
embrittlements were true there would be a raft of older boats breaking up
and sinking during normal operations. I have yet to hear of any of our types
so doing.

My two cents anyway.

Best of luck with your sale Randy, she looks like a nice platform.

JB