[Public-List] Surveying older boats? Determining if they are seaworthy...

Hans Thomas hthomas at mbari.org
Fri Aug 28 09:38:52 PDT 2020

Randy -
I've have my 1962 Pearson Triton surveyed. It was an interesting experience:

"Hmm, blisters. If I didn't see a few on a boat this old I'd be suspicious"

"Encapsulated ballast - don't have to worry about that as much as those fin keel wonders"

In general, the surveyor was more attentive to thru-hull penetrations, especially the shaft, rigging, deck and deck fittings, and the engine installation. I'd be more concerned if I had soft spots on the deck.

Regards

Hans Thomas
"la mer ne pardonne pas" - James Keelaghan, "Captain Torres"