[Public-List] WindWard Home. Was Chameleon, Danny Greene

Marianne King-Wilson mkw at cogeco.ca
Fri Jan 24 20:43:12 PST 2020

Thank you, Rod!
Windward’s home port since 1991 has been Parry Sound on Georgian Bay.  Prior to that, she was owned by two brothers sailing out of Wiarton.  They only parted with her because their families were growing and they’d bought an Alberg 37.
But her first owner is the real story of WindWard.  She had another name then, Silmardo, and her skipper for her first twenty years was Uno Prii, the renowned Canadian architect whose creations included some 250 of the most beautiful and imaginative buildings in Toronto.   He knew beauty when he found it.
When we brought her home, a silver fork, a bone-handled knife and a small European style life jacket were secreted in a corner, “left by the first owner”. We judged that they pointed to an elegant simplicity.  Only twenty-five years afterward, did I learn how right we had been.  An article about Uno Prii’s widow mentioned his beloved Alberg 30 and a small amount of sleuthing put the pieces together.
How fortunate to have such a heritage!

Marianne
Windward 369