[Public-List] Spray Dodger questions

Avery Boyer averyboyer168 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 20:57:47 PDT 2020

I wouldn't recommend using the Sailrite kit really, you'll end up with a
dodger that may be of okay quality but certainly won't be up to par
aesthetically. The classic lines of the Alberg 30 cry out for an elegant
dodger, which the Sailrite kit won't really provide. I am a fan of Sailrite
generally but as someone who does canvas for a living I don't really like
their kits for more complex projects. That said, it's the easiest route by
far for building on your own. It just depends on how much time and energy
you're willing to invest I guess. I built my own dodger having never built
one before and am pleased with it, but I have a couple years of experience
templating and installing them professionally so I have a good grasp on
what one should look like. Bending the frame is really the hard part-there
are books out there that are pretty good and explain how to do it but I'd
spend some time staring at other dodgers and deciding what you like before
you go that route. After that it's really a matter of getting an accurate
template. If you do, and you sew accurately, you'll end up with something
really nice. If you choose to go with a professionally made dodger, find
out what materials they use (Solarfix or other PTFE thread, dacron
reinforcement, Seaquest vinyl or better yet, Sunbrella Horizon are
preferred), make sure they use good fasteners (lift the dot or tenax, not
snaps or twist the dots) and find out if they fabric fit or use plastic for
templating. Fabric fit is cheaper but using plastic is often (but not
always) a sign of higher quality and better fit. If you possibly can, try
and have them use awning track (keder track) with bolt rope on the front
windows as it'll seal a lot better then fasteners screwed into the dock. Be
annoying, ask lots of questions, and do your research. There are plenty of
good shops out there but many others are just trying to scrape by and will
do whatever they can to save money and will slap together something you
could have done better yourself for a lot cheaper. Whatever you decide,
best of luck, and it'll be worth it.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 2:12 AM John Brugeman via Public-List <