[Public-List] Gooseneck track repair and replacement

James Cowhey jrc127 at ptd.net
Mon Jul 27 13:47:37 PDT 2020

Greetings ‘bergers

We’ve had two fast moving violent storms on the North East River in July.  Footage from our club’s dock cam showed the boats really rocking and rolling during the 1 July storm.  It only lasted about 30 minutes, but it was enough to stress the bolts on the gooseneck track to shear them.  The track was bent in such a way that it was obituary that one bolt sheared and then the second one broke too.

 I could not  get to the boat for a few days, but found the boom lying on the deck suspended by the topping lift.  I have a couple questions.  This is boat #56 so it could very well be the original hardware .  The gooseneck fitting itself is sound.  I need to replace the track and refit the fitting to it.

Is there a source for the track that fits the gooseneck fitting for the Alberg30?  It’s not clear to me if this is a standard piece of hardware or one that’s specific to this boat.

Should the track be attached to the mast with more than two bolts?  It seems like a third or fourth bolt would have provided some redundancy.  At any rate, with the right parts this doesn’t seem like too difficult of a repair, But any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

James Cowhey
S/V Mocuisle
Alberg 30 #56