[Public-List] Access hatch for cockpit

Don Campbell dk.campbell at xplornet.ca
Sun Jun 28 18:54:47 PDT 2020

Hi Winslow:
     You will find that whatever you do to access the stuffing box area,
you will have that trouble of good grasp and leverage.. It will always
be difficult to get two arms in through any opening with any ability to
see as well. And then you will need to have some sort of wrench to help
to get the tension you want on the stuffing box threads so it leaks by
the droplet if you use conventional flax. I found that two small pipe
wrenches could work over the motor. And it you do not like 4 spark plug
indentations on your sternum, you can remove those,  but have them
numbered so you get the firing order correct. You could also make flat
wrenches out of 1/8 steel  to fit the nuts on the stuffing box, or you
may find some like that that would do  in plumbing hardware that
plumbers use for working on traps. I think in the end, you will have
more leverage more easily  by going over the motor than one handing it
through access from the lateral lockers. If you do the lateral locker
modification, and get into the locker to "see what you are doing" make
very sure you tie up the lid extra securely before you get in and block
off any way the hasp can catch if  the lid closes. Otherwise , you are
trapped in that locker and Safety First is the motto!!
     I have been in both the lateral lockers and the lazarette, and none
is very comfortable, or easy to manoeuver in,  or easy to get out from,
especially if you are of any size over 6 feet tall.
Don