[Public-List] Deck Penetration for Mast Wires

Mike Lehman mlehman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 05:15:40 PST 2020

Jonathan,

The Blue Seas cable clam is the way to go. After trying many different
things over the past 40+ years, these were the only thing that were truly
watertight and you can have a continuous cable if that is a goal. Myself,
since I take the mast down every year, need to have a connection in the
cables below deck. I have a terminal block inside the head locker for the
12v power cable (completely dry and out of the way) and I use a Shakespeare
PL258 splice connector for my RG8X VHF cable (also in the head locker).

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 1:40 AM Jonathan Bresler via Public-List <

> Folks,
>
> Thinking of redoing the deck penetrations for the mast wires on Constance.
> Currently there are three distinct penetrations, two to port of the mast
> base
> and one to starboard. All enter the v-berth just forward of the mast beam.
> The wires get stepped on from time to time. They are not well protected
> from
> damage.   The wires are: electrical cable for steaming, deck, anchor lights
> and ground, VHF cable, signal cables (16 or 18 AWG) for Raymarine ST60
> wind instruments.
>
> Thinking about having a single penetration, just aft the base plate,
> entering
> into the head/hanging locker area. One penetration large enough to hold all
> the wires.  Would fill the penetration with putty or expanding foam or
> "what
> woud you recommend".  Playing with the idea of perhaps a 3/4" thruhull
> topped
> by a 90 degree elbow so that water does not pool/sit on the top of the
> opening.
> One of these (
>
> https://www.groco.net/products/fittings/pipe-to-hose-elbows/ffc-series-npt-full-flow
> )
> might do the trick, but does seem a bit bulky.
>
> Thank you,
> Jonathan
> --
> Jonathan M Bresler