[Public-List] Deck Penetration for Mast Wires

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 05:50:47 PDT 2020

Thank you all for the examples and suggestions for mast wiring penetrations.
Have not decided yet which way to go, u-bend pipe vs cable clams.
One consideration is that I and my crew have been know to step on the
current
wiring which has old cable clams at deck level.  Stepping on the wiring
cannot
be good and over time will damage the wiring if not break a wire.  The
existing
VHF cable, which will be replaced, is bent down hard at a 90 degree angle.
The insulation between the center conductor and the sheath must be horribly
mangled in there.  So much for 50 ohm characteristic impedance at that
point.

Having a terminal block in the head seems to be the consensus.   Will
install
one there.

Have wondered why the wiring runs along the port side of the boat in the
cabin.
To get from the port side, the wires run into the port sail locker and then
into the
engine space in order to hit the electrical panel from below.  All this
hullabaloo is
due to the upright icebox being in the way.   Wonder why Whitby did not
decide
to run the wiring on the starboard side.

Jonathan

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 7:13 AM Mike Lehman via Public-List <

Jonathan M Bresler
S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262
Annapolis/Eastport MD