[Public-List] Mast Sheave Bolt

Don Campbell dk.campbell at xplornet.ca
Tue Mar 10 20:38:17 PDT 2020

So far, no one has mentioned that rope halyards are prone to stretch and so
if you do use rope halyards, and are not prepared to spend the bundle for
staset or other non-stretch line, you have the stretch on 35 feet if you
cleat on the mast or about 50 feet if you lead the halyard back to the
cockpit. Even a 3% stretch factor on relatively low stretch line will give
at least a foot on 35 feet,  double or triple that on more ordinary line.
Just make sure you check this factor regardless of where the halyards are if
you want to maintain mainsail shape. Wire does not stretch much at all and
the rope tail is very short if the wire is measured correctly.
Don