[Public-List] Sex Bondage and Hemp

Mike Lehman mlehman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 06:21:35 PDT 2020

Bob, I'm not a hoarder...I just keep the good stuff. Currently molds for
winch pedestals, sea hood, etc. I also have old hatches for patterns,
numerous bits and pieces of an Alberg including the mold for rudder shoes,
an entire bow section of an Alberg, samples of materials for insulating the
ice box, a short section of a mast, a mast head fitting,
miscellaneous rigging parts, plumbing parts and electrical parts including
spools of wire. Recently, I inherited all of Towney's wood pieces and added
that to my collection of wood which includes teak, mahogany, cherry, pine
and plywood (mostly small pieces) acceptable for small projects like the
new instrument mounting teak plates I made for my bother-in-law's old
Boston Whaler. If anyone needs wood, or other parts, they are available to
any Alberg member.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 6:45 PM R Kirk via Public-List <

> Gordon Laco, in praising hemp rope said, amongst other things:
>
>    First, being natural fibre, its longevity at rated performance is
> completely unpredictable
> Actually, it's completely predictable: It rots away... it's no damn good.
> It has to be tarred to be of even short term use at sea.
> That's reflected by the fact that (almost) no one uses it anymore. A quick
> internet search showed that it's not even in New England Rope's catalog. On
> Amazon I found a couple of boutique places that sold lengths of it for sex
> & bondage purposes. (Who knew that about Gord?)
> In my toddler days I saw a greasy coil of rope at the back of our boat
> shed. I asked my father (the world's greatest hoarder who never threw
> anything away and could find anything - a treasure like our modern Mike
> Lehman) who said it was old hemp rope and that all *our* rigging was modern
> Manila. He said the hemp was a mess to work with and would rot from the
> inside. But he might find a use for it someday.
> Later when I first entered the Navy, there was no longer any hemp - all
> Manila. A sailor was no longer a "tar". Soon nylon lines came in and
> completely replaced the manila. The nylon was wonderful for mooring lines
> because it would comfortably stretch like a rubber band and not jerk &
> break things. The one exception was that we were still required to use the
> non-stretchy manila for high lining - sending people between ships at sea
> on a boatswain's chair suspended on a taut rope. Didn't want to dunk them.
> I suspect that nowadays the manila highlines have been replaced by some
> sort of  Staset or other low stretch synthetic.
> I wonder how sailors make Macnamara Lace now? Synthetics? Any idea Gord?
> Bob Kirkex Isobar 181

Mike Lehman