[Public-List] Main Haylard Sheave Bolt

Jonathan Bresler 262alberg30 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 07:41:14 PDT 2020

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Success!  Penetrating fluids (PB Blaster and Boe T-9) combined with driving
the loosened nut till it landed on the side of the mast, followed by
hammering on a drift finally drove the bolt and the sleeve out together.
Bolt and sleeve still firmly fused together.

It’s the original Tufnol block.  Where to find a replacement?  Center hole
is 5/8” and 6-1/4” diameter (from memory) by 17/32” thick.  There is 0.060”
of side to side play between the sheave and the two aluminum plates on
either side.  Could add two shins of 0.030” nylon on either side to fill
the gap.

Need to add a stop at the top of the mainsail track.  In the past, I have
had the top slide pop off the track.  No more of that!

Jonathan

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 5:09 PM Mike Lehman via Public-List <

> And spray with Boeshield T9 (magic stuff)
>
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2020, 4:25 PM Michael Grosh via Public-List <
>
> > A bigger hammer and a drift pin? It sounds like where it is binding is
> the
> > brass/bronze bearing in the sheave-possibly distorted? If so, the beating
> > involved wouldn't stress any of the rest of the assembly directly. I am
> > assuming you are going to replace the sheave anyway, I would. I have.
> > MichaelGrosh
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 9, 2020, 14:09 Jonathan Bresler via Public-List <
> > public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > Tried to pull the main halyard sheave bolt.  That bolt has been there
> > since
> > > 1967, I'm guessing.  The bolt passes through a sleeve and the sleeve
> goes
> > > through the holes on either side of the mast.  The sheave appears to be
> > > Tufnol (brown color combination of resin impregnated cloth).  Guessing
> > > that is 1967 vintage as well.
> > > There are two plates, one on each side of the sheave, as well.
> > >
> > > The bolt and sleeve, they move together will not come out of the
> hole.  I
> > > can get it to move till the end of the bolt almost clears the plate on
> > the
> > > side of the sheave, but not quite.  Have pulled, twisted, pushed
> (using a
> > > drift).  No luck.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?  How have others managed the to get the bolt out.
> > >
> > > Jonathan
> > > --
> > > Jonathan M Bresler
> > > S/V Constance Alberg 30 #262