[Public-List] Hemp vs polyester

Michael Grosh dickdurk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 20:51:14 PDT 2020

To add to Gord's great breaking strength story:  knot or splice...
A boat I worked on years ago was having issues with lines parting
prematurely, and the manufacturer wanted sample lengths to test to
destruction. We made up about 4 6' lengths and off they went. 3 of those
lengths were 2 tapered eye splices each end (a real pain in the neck to put
together) and one was the way we always spliced them-3 tucks. I have never
seen 3 tucks pull out, btw. Yes, I know the Coast Guard wants 4.
Anyway, bottom line is, there was no difference in the parting strength of
the samples, and all up to spec, the line parting issue was elsewhere.
I have always wondered what that test machine looked like, this was 9" 3
strand polyester (dacron).
I would say about 75% of the time, assuming no cuts or chafe, lines wanted
to part within 6" or so of the end of the splice. I always figured that had
something to do with the strain of opening up the lay for splicing-which
would be the arguement for tapering, but, testing, inconclusive.
Michael Grosh

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020, 21:09 Gordon Laco via Public-List <