[Public-List] Hemp vs polyester

R Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Fri Mar 13 07:55:45 PDT 2020

A youthful misadventure: I was OOD, mooring a destroyer to one of the old wooden San Francisco piers. I Allowed for the wind, coming in wide and we got #1 line across. Unfortunately, I neglected the strong longshore current pushing us away. No problem; just put #1 to the windlass, hold on, and use opposing screws (a destroyer is great at that) to bring the stern in so we could get some more lines across.
It didn't work. #1 stretched and STARTED SMOKING. It was at the beginning of the nylon rope era and people had never seen this before. The forecastle gang started to run like hell, leaving one poor sailor operating the windlass. The skipper advised me to give it another try. Ignominiously, I cast off, backed out, and came in a second time, closer this time and successful.
We kept on using that #1 for long after with no apparent problems. Who knew about nylon?  I wonder if the line getting hot and smoking did any lasting damage or was just a normal, 'so what'
Bob Kirkex Isobar 181