[Public-List] Stern tube

David Fay davidfay999 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 11:42:48 PDT 2020

Gerard,

Here's a more direct answer to your question.

I don't think you'll have any luck trying to stop the leak on the inside of the boat so you don't have to haul it. That's what I tried to do and it didn't work. The problem is that you're dealing with multiple materials (thiokol, bronze tube, and fiberglass) and finding a sealant that adheres well to all of them will be tough. Second, the pressure of the water from the outside will tend to defeat whatever sealant you use. It's a much better bet to put sealant on the outside of the hull (as I detailed in my previous note) than on the inside. That way the water pressure is working with you not against you. Finally, your stern tube may well be loose now. If it moves, the sealant will have a hard time keeping the water out.

You can try sealing from the inside, and you may get lucky (I tried marine epoxy, boatlife caulk, butyl, and a few others -- nothing worked). But don't be surprised if you have to haul the boat out and make a proper repair.

David