[Public-List] Twings and In-haulers

Greg Roberts greg at midnight-oil.us
Thu Apr 22 09:23:10 PDT 2021

Ah, define one's terms first... Twings as defined in the articles I've
been reading are attached low and primarily control the height of the
clew.In-hauls are attached high and primarily control the horizontal
position of the clew.A few articles have used the term barber hauler
loosely to encompass both or when only one is used low and inboard of
the rail.All of this is of course colored by regional use of terms.
Part of exploring this is the concept of enabling technology. Machine
vision is a good example. Industry was well aware of the value of
having machines do high speed inspection long before it was practical.
It became widely used once relatively cheap, high resolution cameras
and processing hardware became available.Perhaps the newer rings and
dyneema warrant a second look... Perhaps low friction rings and
dyneema is an example of technology catching up, or not.
Michael,I guess I would argue that adding a main traveler is a far
more significant change to the original boat than adding twings etc...
Mine, #43 like yours, didn't come with any of those and I certainly
would not want to race without one. So, I have to ask with tongue
firmly in cheek, should you have bought a different boat instead? :)
As for slamming boats together: My non-skid pattern is shifted by
several inches aft on port relative to starboard. The winches,
stantion bases, etc were all installed relative to the pattern and as
such are all shifted.
Regards,
Greg