[Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 4229, Issue 1

Taft Gerry gftaft at yahoo.ca
Mon Aug 23 08:56:43 PDT 2021

 So kind of you, I look forward to hearing their response.
I am researching flitch beams.  My understanding is that bonding the aluminum to the beam is not required and a staggered bolt pattern is preferred.
It is therefore recommended that the bolts for the UDLs should be staggered, withtheir centres alternately h/4 above and below the centre line, where h is the depthof the stringers. They should not be positioned further from the centre line thanthis, or the holes will significantly reduce the bending resistance of both the steeland timber members.To ensure composite action of the timber and steel, the bolts should beequidistantly spaced at no more than 2.5 times the depth of the timber membersor 600 mm. However the tests mentioned previously indicated that if fasteners arespaced too closely they reduce the failure load by causing the timber to split, soideally the bolt diameter should be selected so that the required number of boltscan be spaced at the minimum of 2.5ht and 600 mm.To stabilise the steel, a minimum of two bolts should be used at each support, oneabove the other and spaced as widely apart as possible. These should bepositioned at a distance of 0.5lb from the inner edge of the support, where lb is theminimum bearing length required to prevent the permissible compression stress inthe stringers and bearings being exceeded.